Mannion Build & ICF
Mannion Build have completed a number of projects using ICF. Insulated Concrete Forms (or ICFs) are forms or moulds that have built-in insulation for accepting reinforced concrete. The first patent application for an ICF was registered in the late 1960’s. Since then, and particularly in the last 7 years, ICFs have been fast-becoming the mainstream preferred building product worldwide for all of the right reasons. These large, hollow blocks are stacked right off of the truck and filled with reinforcing bar and concrete. The end result leaves you with a high-performing wall that is structurally sound, insulated, strapped, has a vapor barrier and is ready to accept final exterior and interior finishes.
Why build with ICF
A better question would be, “Why would you consider building with anything else?” Here are a few of the best reasons to build with ICFs:
Nothing blows through reinforced concrete. There will be absolutely no drafts or cold spots. ICF homeowners have commented on how constant temperatures stay within their homes. Because of the tremendous thermal mass of the exterior wall envelope, temperature peaks are smoothed, and therefore homes are noticeably warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Safe & Healthy
There are no CFCs, HCFCs, or formaldehydes, and also no wood to rot and mould. ICFs are the answer for allergy and asthma sufferers. They have a two-hour fire rating and pest resistant. But most importantly, these structures can withstand the sometimes severe Irish weather. Have you considered climate change into your future structure’s design?
Flexibility in Design
Reinforced concrete has tremendous proven design capabilities. For example, how many bridges do you travel over every day? ICF wall systems can support concrete floor and roof systems and give you the ultimate in innovative design.
Your outside noises are eliminated. Is your future building site near train tracks, airports, roads or commercial areas? Maybe you simply do not wish to hear the neighbour mowing his lawn.
Homes built with ICF exterior walls require an estimated 44% less energy to heat and 32% less energy to cool than comparable frame houses. Consequently, your HVAC systems can be downsized. Since floor systems are hung on the inside of the wall, real energy savings come when you design above-grade, thereby eliminating a huge heat loss area in conventional housing.
Build Green with ICF – future protection
Our world’s number one challenge is to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide that is being discharged into our atmosphere. The earth’s relatively sudden warming and consequent dramatic effects of climate change are directly related to these carbon dioxide emissions.
- Landfilling construction waste is reduced to less than 1% when you build with AMVIC. For every one tone of methane produced by landfilling practices, 20 tones of CO2 are produced.
- Every ICF home saves approximately 8.5 trees and effectively preserve nature’s air filters. Ask yourself the question, “How much oxygen does sand and gravel produce?”
- If we can reduce our energy bills by as high as 40%, we can reduce CO2 emissions by the same amount. The world’s international Kyoto agreement insists on a reduction of emissions by 50% just to slow down the effects of global warming. ICFs are a part of the answer to CO2 reductions.
Insulating Concrete Forms are the Right Choice
- No CFCs
- Replaces Timber
- Reduced Construction Time
- Architectural Flexibility
- Replaces Insulation Material
- Reduced Energy Costs
- Increased Resale Value
- No Structural Deterioration